This is where I sit down and tell you that I am struggling to stay motivated to do pretty much anything these days. I know that in this very moment some of it is hormones but some of it is the weather and a dollop of really trying to figure out how to be effective in working from home.
That last bit is really crucial. I’ve basically always worked since I was 16 and so the notion that I don’t have a traditional job to go to is kind of left me in a weird head space. I know that it takes some time to adjust but sometimes I feel rudderless and I have to reel myself in and tell my brain to shut up!
When I stop to think about all the time I have during the day and how much I’m currently not doing with it – I get angry with myself because I know that being able to chase this dream of mine is such a huge gift.
I’m writing this all down so that I can maybe get out of my own way a little. I’m acknowledging that not having a job in the traditional sense is not easy and that I need to focus on the things that are right in front of me if I’m going to be successful. Also, I need to really commit to the be physical part of my not resolutions.
So, for better or for worse – that’s where I’m at. I’m going to stay on top of this topic because I think it’s helpful to understand just what it’s like to make that transition and als for my own sanity.
I’ve been thinking about things that I’d like to do in this year – I’m not calling them resolutions because inevitably I will make a list of those never to be looked at again. Am I playing myself by but calling them resolutions and going that it helps me to stick to them? Probably. But I make the rules of this game, so these are just general things I’ve been thinking about.
– Continue to grow my business. Really focus on reminding people that taking photos is what I love and bonus: I’m really good at it!
– Be more physical. I’m probably never (ever, ever) going to the person who gets amped for exercise but I need to do it because I spend so many hours at my desk when editing or just not moving and I fully recognize how hard on my body that is.
Ideally, I’d like to plan more activities with my friends that are focused outdoors. Maybe dust off that bike The Ethiopian night for me.
– Continue to read more. I Sokol can’t believe I read 14 books while I was in Ethiopia. It reminded me of how much joy books bring me and how much I can accomplish without the internet as a distraction ?
– This is crazy, but I’d like to cool something from every cookbook I own. Just one recipe from every book. And nothing that I’ve tried before. This is one in going to have to stay on top of but would be so much fun. Maybe.
– Have more (redacted). You’re smart, I’m sure you can figure it out but my Mom might read this.